If you can imagine a paradisaical island with turquoise waters and lush jungles, where you can sit back and relax while forgetting about the world and your stresses, Vieques Puerto Rico is one such destination. It’s where people can go to bathe in the sun and the sand while also being able to enjoy several activities while there.
To help you better understand what to expect out of some time spent in Vieques, Puerto Rico, we have compiled some of the top things to do and places to see while there.
Main Attractions of Vieques Puerto Rico
1. The Gorgeous Beaches
Visiting Vieques, Puerto Rico without visiting the beaches is like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower. Vieques and Puerto Rico in general is well-known for its turquoise waters and delightful weather. If you are searching for paradise on Earth, you need not look further than this Caribbean destination. The best beaches found on Vieques are:
- Puerto Ferro Bay-Playita. Gorgeous turquoise waters and a beautiful bay are what make this beach a favorite spot for locals and tourists alike who enjoy snorkeling. Although it may be a little tricky to get there-by boat-you won’t want to miss out on relaxing at Playita.
- Bahia Tapon. Secluded, beautiful, and unique are three words that come to mind when one visits Bahia Tapon. There isn’t much in the way of bathrooms or amenities. But this same factor is what makes it a delightful escape for anyone who wants to enjoy the clear waters of this bay.
- Sun Bay Beach. This long stretch of beach is perfect for a family day at the beach. The water is a beautiful clear blue. Also, there are plenty of facilities nearby for you to enjoy lunch or refreshing drinks at.
- Playa Negra. It makes sense that this beach would be called Playa Negra as the sand has a tint of black. The waves are a little bit wilder than at other beaches on Vieques. But this certainly doesn’t take away from the beauty of the cliffs and bushes against the blue water.
- Media Luna Beach. If what you are looking for is crystal clear water that is calm and ideal for picture taking, Media Luna Beach is an idyllic spot for a perfect beach day. It’s also great for kids because of its shallow waters.
2. Visit the National Wildlife Refuge
Whether you want to go hiking or biking, and even horseback riding, the National Wildlife Refuge is a great way to spend your time exploring Vieques. It’s an interesting place full of flora and fauna. It is also home to some archaeological sites that are worth checking out during your time in Puerto Rico.
If you prefer to stay fresh, you can also explore along the coastline in a kayak.
Other Things to Do in Vieques Puerto Rico
1. Visit the Sugar Plantation
If you are into history, you will like a visit to the Playa Grande Sugar Plantation that dates to the 1800’s. While there isn’t that much to see anymore, it’s still an experience to get there, as it is somewhat hidden on the west coast.
Yet, if you are interested in the history of the plantations, it’s a good opportunity to observe the damage and decay of a historical location in Vieques, Puerto Rico.
If you love fishing, there are so many different places to enjoy fishing in Vieques, Puerto Rico. One of the most interesting places to go fishing at is Mosquito Pier.
This long pier that is much longer than a pier ever needs to be is one of the most popular spots for fishing on this paradisaical island.
3. Snorkeling, Paddle Boarding, Kayaking, and Scuba Diving
Vieques, Puerto Rico is home to a lot of marine life. While you are visiting a beach destination, why not take advantage of water sports?
There are plenty of affordable places to rent the equipment from, or go ahead and bring your own.
Where to Stay in Vieques Puerto Rico
There are plenty of places to stay in Vieques, Puerto Rico and most of it depends on what you need. If you are traveling with your family, you may need more spacious lodging. On the other hand, a young traveler may be perfectly fine staying in a hostel. Following are the top locations for lodging in Vieques Puerto Rico.
1. Bungalow 180: If you want to stay in a place that provides you with plenty of space for you and yours, Bungalow 180 is the place. It is a villa that rents for between $3,000.00-$4,500.00 a week. But it will definitely provide you with the luxury and privacy that you may be seeking for a truly pleasant vacation in Vieques.
2. Hacienda Tamarindo: Any idyllic hotel near the beach which is perfect for families or singles who want to stay in a charming hotel. The price is right at around $164.00 a night. Whether you go alone or with family, you will be pleased with the service, the cleanliness, and the beauty of Hotel Tamarindo.
3. Hammock House Hostel: If you are traveling on a budget, so that you can spend more money on fun than on lodging, try the Hammock House Hostel. It is a comfortable and clean hostel that will offer you comfort yet affordability so that you can truly enjoy what you came for: fun in the sun in Vieques.
How to Get to Vieques Puerto Rico
It’s relatively easy to get to Vieques from the mainland of Puerto Rico. Whether you hop on over on a flight or take a ferry, Vieques is only an hour away from San Juan on a boat and even less by plane.
Puerto Rico is truly an exotic destination. Vieques is a great place to go for a peaceful vacation at a location that inspires relaxation and gorgeous beaches.
Whether you visit with family or go on your own, you can be sure to find plenty to do on the island. From kayaking to hiking and simply relaxing in the water, Vieques Puerto Rico is where you will have an amazing vacation.